Due to the Senate's uncompromising need to force government healthcare down the throats of every American, the Federal Government has shut down non-essential programs until a continuing resolution can be drafted that funds these non-essential programs.
What kind of impact will the shutdown have? The most important thing to realize about the shutdown is that it will not affect essential services.
- The post office will still deliver mail
- The military will still defend our country and get paid
- Social Security and Medicare will still get paid
- The border will still be patrolled (to the extent that they already do so)
- The NSA will still spy on you
- Obamacare exchanges will still open on time and their websites will still crash
Non-essential programs will close:
- National Parks will be closed to the public
- The White House will not give tours -- didn't they already stop White House tours?
- Some goofy government studies will stop until they can be funded again
- A lot of federal civilian employees will take vacation with delayed pay
Most of us will not be affected. In fact, we can celebrate that our money is not being wasted as fast. That said, we should still be compassionate. If you know someone who is being furloughed, bring them a meal and offer emotional support.