New research shows an indoor source of lighting could be harmful to your skin: eco-friendly compact fluorescent light bulbs, HealthDay reported.
Scientists from the Garcia Center for Polymers at Engineered Interfaces at Stony Brook University in New York said chipping or cracking in the bulb’s phosphor surface coating allows for ultraviolet rays to escape.
Many bulbs “have cracks in the phosphor coating, probably due to the fact that the coating is brittle and has trouble making the tight bends required to make these bulbs compact," explained the study’s lead author Miriam Rafailovich. "As a result, we observed, by eye, defects in nearly all the bulbs that we studied."
This is, of course, in addition to the toxic mercury inside the bulbs. Personally, I think that incandescent bulbs are fine. If you don't want to use incandescent bulbs, consider LED lightbulbs.